My Top Tools 2014

I haven't updated my list for Jane Hart's overall review for some time now, but it's worth a revisit. This post is prompted by Harold Jarche's.

10. Word. This could actually be any of three word processing tools - I use NoteTab for quick notes, and Padre for programming. But this year has been a year of documents, and that means Word.

9. Winamp. This is my main audio tool. I use it to listen to music and podcasts and I use it to send content to ed Radio. I'm been experimenting with a task scheduler that automatically programs my rdio station. Still a work in progress and one of these things I still don't have time for.

8. Flickr. I criticize the photo hosting site and judging by the reversion to the old-style interface I think I was not along. I pay them money and they store my photos online and display them. It's still a good deal.

7. Facebook. Though I am loathe to admit it, I have used Facebook a lot more recently to keep in touch with family and community. Why? That's where they are. Notably, they're mostly not on Twitter or LinkedIn (some professional communities are on these sites but the wider impact is minimal).

6. Blogger. I don't know why I write a blog separately from my website. But I do, and Blogger is where I prefer to do it.

5. Audacity. I record and post every one of my talks. Audaciity (with LAME) is the tool I use to do this.

4. gRSShopper. This is my own blogging software - other people would insert WordPress here, probably. It hasn't played as big a role this year because my job has changed.

3. PowerPoint. Nothing really does the same work for me as a multimedia presentation tool. I do a lot of my original thinking while creating PowerPoint slides and of course it's an important part of my presentation routine.

2. Feedly. This is my RSS reader. I spend a lot of time here - for each item that appears in OLDaily I read something like a hundred posts. I'm in the middle of a large scale reorganization of my feed sources. There's so much out there, I think people don't realize this.

1. Outlook. Can you believe it? I have in the past referred to it as the worst software ever written. It is much improved. More significantly, Thunderbird has not kept pace. I use Outlook for email and calendaring. Both of these are critical for me today. The Thunderbird-Google Calendar alternative simply doesn't work.

Comments

  1. 0. Word. This could actually be any of three word processing tools - I use NoteTab for quick notes, and Padre for programming. But this year has been a year of documents, and that means Word.
    facebook

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments will be moderated. Sorry, but it's not a nice world out there.

Popular Posts